Reading through the book bands
This guidance will give you a rough idea of the right reading level for your child. There will be a wide range of reading abilities in any school year. Children should be able to read at leas 90% of the words on the page without any problem. If the book is too easy, they can become bored. If it is too difficult, they can become frustrated, and may have to concentrate so hard on reading the words that they lose the enjoyment of understanding the story.
A word of caution
Please do not be tempted to rush your child through the books. It is not a race, it is a journey! Children learn at different rates just as they learn to walk, dress themselves etc at different rates. Reading must not be treated as a competition. If children are rushed through the books they will not have the enjoyment and understanding necessary. Books that they find too difficult will soon put them off reading.
Things to remember
- Hear your child read every day if you can
- Little and often is more beneficial than a long session once a week
- Think about how long you are reading for – the amount of reading time shouldn’t exceed your child's span of attention
- Pick your timing carefully – its best not to embark on a reading session when your child is tired
- Every child is an individual - try not to compare your child's progress with other children or with siblings
Enjoy reading with your child and help them become lifelong readers.